03 May 2010

I wander through each chartered street...

Let's see where did I last leave my anxious readers (all two or three of you)...

Saturday I spent the morning at Borrough market and the Tate modern museum. Borrough was fun but nothing too exciting––very much like a miniature Pike's place. Lots of produce, fresh bread, cider and cheese. I sampled a blueberry scone and fresh cranberry juice, both of which were pretty good. The Tate modern was interesting but I really to go back sometime soon. Two hours definitely isn't enough to see everything. Last Sunday we went to the Hyde Park ward instead of splitting up into groups and attending wards all over London because the stake we will be joining (Wandsworth Stake?) was having stake conference. Because it was Fast Sunday, I got to hear a lot of different accents while the ward members bore their testimonies. There were people from Nigeria, Russia, Germany, the Philippines and several other Eastern European countries. English members were certainly in the minority, which I suppose is fairly representative of London as a whole. The stake president, who spoke to the BYU students during the second hour, is an English native in his late twenties or early thirties who married a woman from California. He explained that he and his family chose to live in expensive, urban London to support what he called the modern pioneers of Hyde Park who literally come from all over the world.

Today was a slightly less busy day. I had classes in the morning, went shopping for laundry detergent and a few groceries in the afternoon and walked through Hyde Park in the evening. Now I need to make a dent in my hours and hours homework assignments. Tomorrow we will be getting up early and spending most of the day at the Tower of London. I wish I could write more but I haven't yet figured out how to complete all of my homework and see all of London while simultaneously chronicling my experiences.

4 comments:

  1. How appropriate for Harry Potter's London to have a stake with the word "wand" in it's name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad here, we LOVE reading your blog and your emails. Please, please take an election picture or two. Tell your professor I have my money on the Tories by 7% points over the LibDems and Labour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really haven't seen much to take a picture of! There used to be a Gordon Brown wanted ad in a window on palace court. I'll see if I can take a picture of that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your blog! Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete