21 May 2010

Weekend Warrior

I [almost] survived the week! Just a few more small assignments and a relief society lesson (which I am more than a little bit nervous about) to plan. Then three class-free days in edinburgh! And hopefully things will ease up homework-wise until finals. That's what I'm hoping at least.

Today we spent the day touring Runneymede, Windsor Palace, Milton's house and some church/graveyard that inspired Thomas Gray's "Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard." Honestly, by the time I got to that final destination I was too exhausted, hot and sunburned to care about anything besides sleep and air-conditioning. (Today must have been at least 75 in the sun! Much, much warmer than the cool and cloudy weather I'm used to seeing here) The week of 4-5 hours of sleep a night and very long, busy days was finally getting to me. I think everyone was pretty low-energy by this point though. As soon as we got to Milton's cottage and found out we had to wait a few minutes before we could start the tour, everyone laid out on the grass and at least half of us fell asleep. The tour guide mentioned something about the front garden looking like the aftermath of an atomic bomb with fifty lifeless bodies sprawled everywhere.

I'm still trying to find a balance between sleep and sightseeing. I'm not sure which should be my priority right now. I've come to realize that I NEED six to seven hours of sleep at least every other night to appreciate what I'm seeing at all. But I feel bad resting in the centre when I could be missing an opportunity to see London. My time here is quickly running out. I think I'm just about halfway finished with the term. But at the same time, I have seen so much already. And I'm fairly certain this won't be my only time in the UK.

[Facebook pictures should be updated within the next 24 hours].

2 comments:

  1. 75 degrees is hot! You are from the Pacific NW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete