15 May 2010

Portabello Ponderings

The only thing worse than doing homework in London is being sick and doing homework IN LONDON. Today I went back to Portabello market and wandered around for about four hours. It was sooooo much more crowded today than last week because it was sunny and warm (mid 60s?). And we went a lot later. After pushing my way through the crowd past block after block of stalls I found a couple summery scarves I liked. For 50P each! They may not be very good quality or real silk (as a nearby vendor kindly pointed out) but they are very pretty. I think. There are so many things I would like to buy there but none are very practical. A vintage tea set? An early 1900s edition of Lyrical Ballads? What would I even do with those? I'd like a vintage carpet-bag style purse but they are all either 50+ pounds or in terrible condition. Or both. I do need some good London souvenirs though! Something better than a cheap T-shirt. There were some pretty antique rings, but by the time I got the the main jewelry section my entire body was aching and I felt like throwing up. Maybe next time? I really should do something else on Saturdays eventually. Maybe Camden Market? Or a museum or two? I am getting quite sick of museums though. At least history ones. And cathedrals. I would rather not see another cathedral anytime soon. Oh well.

Church tomorrow. At least I don't have to teach. (I was called as a Relief Society instructor. Did I mention that?). Although church means at least three hours of navigating the tube/train/bus system, which is prone to frequent closures Sunday mornings. And then devotional+a fireside back at the Centre. They still manage to fill every hour of our Sundays here in London. So much for a day of rest.

2 comments:

  1. Even though you weren't feeling great when you wrote on your blog, your writing is still interesting. Grandma loves you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow 50P! That's a deal. Do you ever get pennies? If you have some, try and remember to give some to Dad when he comes. He is supposed to bring some back for the son of one of his colleagues.

    ReplyDelete