07 May 2010

In Which I Briefly Catalogue the Past Four Days and Direct You To My Facebook Album For Details

I think I saw Gordon Brown today. Although I'm not quite sure. While I was walking between Westminster Abbey and the Cabinet War Rooms I came across a huge crowd surrounding the gated entrance to what I think was the PM's residence? Either way they were holding a press conference about the hung parliament resulting from yesterday's election. As I pushed my way through the crowd, I heard people whisper Gordon Brown was exiting the building and point to a distant figure in a black trench coat. So it may or may not have been him, but the reaction of the crowd was the interesting part. A bunch of people pressed their faces between the iron bars and started shouting "resign!" and waving signs stating things like "a hung parliament means we need proportional representation." I know I should have taken a picture, Dad but unfortunately I didn't... I thought it was exciting because we just finished talking about representative vs. majoritarian electoral systems in poli sci.

So the past four days have been a whirlwind of activity. Somehow I managed to:

-Tour the Tower the Tower of London
-Watch an amazing production of Les Mis from the sixth row (for less than 30 pounds!)
-Visit Stonehenge, Bemerton, the Wilton House and Stourhead all in one day! (And somehow sleep for two hours on a crowded tour bus)
-See "Midsummer Night's Dream" at Shakespeare's globe as a "groundling" (aka standing for three hours)
-Enjoy two (maybe three?) separate trips to the little gelato shop on Bayswater
-Tour (I ran out of verbs) Westminster Abbey and Churchill's Cabinet War rooms

Tomorrow: Portabello Market? Maybe Tate Britain? And homework. Lots of homework.

I can't believe I've already spent almost ten days in London town. I do feel like I've pretty much gotten the tube system down though. And I still can't believe how much their is to see here! London really is much more than New York without trash cans and obesity (as one of my classmates astutely observed).

2 comments:

  1. You might be able to get your fingerless gloves at the Portabello market -- that's where I got mine. Have you seen any Wagamama restaurants? I read in the Rick Steve book we have they are all over London and really good!

    Cool sighting of Gordon Brown-- did he look dejected?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lauren! That's great that you had a Gordon Brown sighting. He's not a very popular man these days in the UK as you know. Looking forward to Skyping with you tomorrow. Dad

    ReplyDelete